1937 MG-SA or MG 2-Litre is a gorgeous and sporty saloon produced by MG from 1936 to 1939. Planned as a performance saloon to rival the Jaguar SS and even Bentley. This brand-new car was a shock to MG followers and the world with its huge proportions compared to any previous MG cars. The SA model was aimed at the larger luxury car market and intended to be a prestige model that would enhance the Company image and move away from the plain and somewhat basic sports cars that had made MG famous. The tuned six cylinder, 2322cc engine was quite a tall engine and had twin SU carburetors with horizontally mounted dashpots to keep the bonnet line as low as possible. Mated to the power plant was a four-speed transmission with synchromesh gears connected to a live rear axle. Other features were the “Jackall”, jacking system mounted directly to the chassis, wire wheels and hydraulic drum brakes.
Car No. SA2248 was bought new on the 19thday of November 1937. An extensive frame-off restoration was completed on this example and since, it has been a consistent event winner with best of show and best in class. To enhance this a bit more, a 12-volt conversion was performed along with the shock absorber upgrade. The exterior is finished in Washington blue with Rolls Royce Silver paint and complimented with rich blue leather upholstery and spectacular wood work.
Type: Water cooled in line
Number of cylinders: 6
Bore and Stroke: 69.5mm x 102mm
Capacity: 2322cc Valve operation: Pushrod overhead valve.
Compression ratio: approx 6.5:1
Carburation: Twin direct downdraught horizontal SU’s
Power output: 75.3 bhp at 4,300 rpm
Clutch: Wet cork
Gearbox: Manual 4 speed part synchro. Chassis: Twin side members with cross members.
Wheelbase: 123″ Track: 4′ 5″ front and rear Suspension: Front; half elliptic springs with beam axle Rear; half elliptic springs, live axle
Brakes: Lockwood hydraulic front and rear with 12″ drums
Performance: Maximum speed: 85 mph, Cruising speed of 70mph plus
Fuel consumption: approx 17 mpg
Price in 1936: £415
Number Built: 2738 (includes saloon, open tourer and Tickford)